Same-Day Dental Restorations with CEREC
In the past, treatment with porcelain crowns required several weeks to fit and craft the restorations. With CEREC, Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics or CEramic REConstruction, Dr. Kenneth Ingber can fit, mill and place high-quality dental restorations in a single visit while the patient waits, using computer-assisted design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology. This is convenient for anyone that does not want to bother with ill-fitting temporary restorations or go “toothless while their permanent restoration is being created in a dental laboratory. The CEREC system makes it possible for a patient to visit Dr. Ingber’s office and the same day with a beautiful, long-lasting porcelain restoration. CEREC restorations are tooth-colored, metal-free and very strong.
The CEREC Fitting and Placement Process
To begin, Dr. Ingber visually examines the patient’s tooth and recommends the best option for restoration. Depending on the amount of remaining healthy tooth structure remaining, Dr. Ingber may recommend a porcelain onlay or crown. After the restoration has been selected, Dr. Ingber prepares the tooth to receive its restoration (this could involve removing a small bit of existing tooth structure to make room for the filling or crown).
Instead of using traditional impression material, CEREC relies on digital technology to capture images of the tooth receiving the restoration.
These images are used to create a three-dimensional virtual model or blueprint of the planned restoration. The CEREC machine crafts the restoration based on the specifications of this model.
Dr. Ingber selects the small block of porcelain from which the restoration will be milled; the porcelain is color-matched to the natural shade of the patient’s surrounding teeth. Within a few minutes, the milling unit of the CEREC machine has fabricated the restoration, as the patient waits comfortably in the dental chair.
Once it is ready, Dr. Ingber places the restoration on the tooth and bonds it into place, checking for fit and comfort. He can make any needed last-minute adjustments depending on feedback from the patient. Dr. Ingber can also polish the restoration so it has a translucent quality similar to that of natural tooth enamel. The restoration should blend in seamlessly with the surrounding teeth, and it should feel secure and stable in the mouth.
Advantages of CEREC
- Eliminates the need for multiple time-consuming and costly dental appointments
- Patients can enjoy a fully functioning restoration in a single day
- No need for messy, uncomfortable impressions
- No need to wear ill-fitting temporary restorations while the permanent restorations are being created
- Faster recovery time with less tooth sensitivity
- Restorations are crafted from high-quality, durable porcelain designed to be long-lasting and resistant to cracks and flaws
- Restorations are color-matched to the patient’s natural tooth enamel color
- CAD/CAM technology helps to create very precise and well-fitting restorations
- Porcelain material is very lifelike and blends in flawlessly with the surrounding teeth
Learn More About CEREC Restorations
For more information about CEREC same-day porcelain restorations, or any of the other cosmetic or restorative dentistry options we offer, please call (202) 331-7474 or email our office today.